|Flickr photo by marioanima|
Ohio-based Pro-Pet, LLC has initiated a voluntary recall of a limited number of their dry dog and cat food formulas citing a possible Salmonella contamination.
According to an FDA press release, a single field test indicated that products manufactured on a single production line, and during a window of two days may have the potential for Salmonella contamination.
There have been no reported illnesses related to the product.
These types of recalls reiterate two important points when handling pet consumables: the need for safe handling and handwashing techniques, and saving the UPC code information from product packaging.
Salmonella, also referred to as salmonellosis, causes digestive problems, and dogs will typically present with fever, diarrhea, vomiting and weakness. Other symptoms can occur.
Salmonella can affect other animals — not just the dogs who consume the treats. There is risk to humans just the same, from handling contaminated pet products. People handling dry pet food and/or treats can become infected with salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the food or any surfaces exposed to any contaminated product.
The product was manufactured by a third party for the company and distributed in Michigan, Ohio and several other states.
The following products are included, and are marked with the following "best by" dates, lot codes and UPC numbers:
- 40 lb Hubbard Life Happy Hound Dog Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 2A 1219033878
- 40 lb Hubbard Life Happy Hound Dog Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 1A 1219033878
- 18 lb Hubbard Life Cat Stars Cat Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 1A 1219033873
- 40 lb Hubbard Life Maintenance Dog Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 2A 1219033875
- 15 lb Joy Combo Cat Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 1A 7065407721
- 40 lb Joy Combo Cat Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 1A 7065407713
- 40 lb Joy Combo Cat Food 05 06 14 096 13 SM L2 2A 7065407713
- 20 lb QC Plus Adult Dog Food 05 07 14 097 13 SM L2 2A 2351780103
- 40 lb QC Plus Adult Dog Food 05 07 14 097 13 SM L2 2A 2351780104
- 40 lb QC Plus Adult Dog Food 05 07 14 097 13 SM L2 1A 2351780104
Consumers that purchased a recalled packages are urged to stop feeding the product and are asked to contact the Pro Pet at 1-888-765-4190 for more information. Customer service representatives are on hand Monday through Friday 8am - 5pm (CST).
Click here for more on the recall.
Lorrie Shaw is a freelance writer and owner of Professional Pet Sitting. Shoot her an email, contact her at 734-904-7279 or follow her adventures on Twitter.