High temperatures and humidity pose unique challenges for at risk pets
With each passing month, I take stock of what I need to be considering when it comes to the weather here in Michigan as I take the reins to care for the pets in my care, most of which are in fragile health. With four seasons, we see all manner of weather and after two decades in the rear view with this work, and with changing climate, it’s hard to ignore that things have unfortunately become less predictable. That means I need to extra mindful of what I need to be doing.
While some dogs hate rain, or the wind—and especially storms—I need to mitigate the impact of all that. But as you might guess, the cold, snow and ice pose some special challenges. Truth be told, I don’t worry so much about any of that. Pets, especially dogs, tend to struggle more in the warmer months. And when you live in a state where you’re surrounded by water, the atmosphere can feel oppressive with the climbing humidity and temps that can reach the 90° mark for stretches of time.
There’s no doubt: summer is tough on aging pets. And while the heat is one factor, the humidity is a real challenge. That’s true elsewhere in the country (and the world). And as I give guidance on the more practical steps families can take to help their pets navigate through the hot weather, especially if I’m working with them during their enrollment in an integrated support plan, I keep a lot in mind. Each pet is different in their needs, and their health statuses as well as life stage, age, and their family’s access to resources.
For those of you who’ve looked at the forecast next week in the Midwest & are concerned about your aging pets—especially those who are at higher risk, like those who are asthmatic, brachycephalic or obese, or have a progressive illness like heart disease, Geriatric Onset Laryngeal Paralysis and Polyneuropathy (GOLPP) or Megaesophagus (Mega E) or perhaps are in their final weeks of life due to age-related decline, or a terminal diagnosis—I can appreciate how you’re feeling. It can seem easier to pivot if your home has air conditioning, though if you don’t, this information is for you.
Many of the families whose pets I’ve tended to over the years haven’t had central air, a window air conditioner, a mini split—or on occasion, the central air has stopped working. And so, I’ve had to get creative with how we plan ahead to keep the pets comfortable & safe by ensuring their comfort, reducing anxiousness and preserving their airway function during the hottest periods of the year. I’ll give you the inside scoop on how I do just that.
It does seem important to point out that even if a household does have air conditioning, high risk pets can still struggle to manage as well as they could. But they need not. With a few tweaks that are all, besides adherence to the veterinarian’s treatment plan, strictly non-medical management strategies that can be implemented and with products that are already in your home, or that can be obtained easily.
Plan ahead
My starting point is to think ahead, and so whether that’s temperature, or storms, even the dewpoint, the thing I monitor days ahead and even hourly is the forecast along with radar. I can decide if I need to modify any time I’ll be spending any time away from the pets under my direct care, and as importantly, if I need to deploy the medication protocol of a pet with noise or storm anxiety and when to properly time that so that the medication can actually do it’s intended job. Keeping the anxiety of high risk pets from being triggered is a priority. Increased respiratory rate accompanies anxiousness, which increases respiratory rate even more. And for high risk pets, that’s something that needs to be prevented since it can become a cycle that can quickly turn into a health emergency.
Hydration
A pet who is adequately hydrated fares better in the heat and humidity. Keeping offerings of fresh, cool water at all times is critical. Just know more potty breaks are going to be needed.
Keeping stressors at bay
Stressors invite anxiousness, and anxiousness can make for a mentally and physically uncomfortable pet whose symptoms can be exacerbated. Whether its a weather system moving through, fireworks—anything at all that the pet deems to be a stressor—you can replicate how I help pets manage that by clicking here.
Heat and humidity
These two weather features impact pets more than most realize, and it can be deadly. Of course, heatstroke and other illnesses are important for everyone to prevent, though before a high risk pet even reaches that point, they’re already struggling with staying physically and emotionally comfortable indoors and out. And that lack of comfort contributes to lower well being, anxiousness, and it can complicate things from a behavioral standpoint. So reducing both, and creating an indoor environment that is cooler and drier, and feels cool is what I prioritize.
Needless to say, while the heat and humidity affect pets, it’s the air quality that results from it that I give equal billing. Why? The diseases that I listed above affect a pet’s airway and breathing, and that is by far the most significant bodily function that needs to be supported. And so a balance of keeping the temperature and humidity indoors optimal and being mindful of any time spent outdoors, is that ounce of prevention that results in pounds of well being.
Outdoor activity
High risk dogs need to spend some time outdoors, though when and how long is the question. I pick the cooler hours of the day for outdoor activities safer, more comfortable and the risk of exercise intolerance and stress on the airway is lower. While the needed quick potty breaks are fine anytime, I stick with the established recommendation of saving walks and playtime outdoors to temperatures of 70 degrees and under — anything higher than that makes things difficult for them to manage safely. Remember: the dewpoint and humidity affect that air quality and comfort.
As an aside, indoor fun and mental stimulation options for high risk pets need not go by the wayside. My recommendations for indoor play and enrichment can be explored here.
Managing the indoor environment
In the absence of an air-conditioned indoor environment, I can’t overstate how a good dehumidifier can be the hero. While it doesn’t cool the air, it serves one function of air conditioning: it pulls the humidity out of the air, which improves comfort and air quality significantly. There are all manner of sizes and brands, so it’s just a matter of selecting one that’s appropriate for the size of the space you’re managing. I bring one if a family doesn’t have one on hand.
Air circulation 24/7 is critical. Fans are an obvious necessity, and they’re inexpensive. No matter the type—ceiling fans, box fans, tower fans, air circulators—they’re all useful. I use all of them, but I also keep a rechargeable fan or two in hand in case of a power outage. I frequently use the strategy that I detail in this piece to provide relief from a feeling of breathlessness and anxiety for high risk pets. I steer from swamp coolers since they increase humidity.
I open the windows, curtains and blinds at night to draw in the cooler air, but I keep them closed during the heat of the day. This blocks out the sun and the heat from it. And with the combination of the fans circulating the already cooled air and the dehumidifier, it's always surprising as to how cool it is inside the house. In many instances it feels like there's air conditioning is on.
If a home has an attic fan and no air conditioning, I definitely capitalize on that during the cooler parts of the day to draw in air.
Cooling blankets and mats are a popular item that gets checked out from my Telos Lending Library by families enrolled in an Integrated Support Plan or Senior and Geriatric Support Plan. I always have them on hand for the pets in my care, and they are a simple and easy way to provide comfort. Dogs and cats figure out how comfortable they are pretty quickly, and if I can’t find them, they’re usually camped out on one.
Resourcing the products referenced in this section can be found by following this link.
If you have questions or special concerns about how your pet will manage in the heat, you are encouraged to connect with your veterinarian for specific guidance. You won't be sorry.




Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment!